Monday, April 5, 2010


Weight a minute

Walking down the block from a morning at the gym, java in hand and Erykah Badu's New Amerykah: The Return of the Ankh in my ears asking for a window seat; my mind replays old tapes. In passing folk stare at my new balance runner pants. They are an eye-catcher. In my neighborhood only a very small percentage of people "think" of working out. I may have seen a couple of folk taking a run down eastern parkway or speed-walking with dumbbells, but the remainder is overweight and obese.

The stroll took me to a moment in time when I had an interesting conversation with a woman.

 "I use to be your size when I was younger." the woman said to me.

She is beautiful. Pretty face, smile, energy, personality and her style is bangin but her weight has gotten away from her.

 "How old are you, if you don't mind me asking?" I quizzed.

Gurl, I'm 40."

In four years, I will be her age and she say's has been struggling with her weight for the past six years. She was 34 when the weight began to swallow her frame. She is now 100 pounds overweight. I could not imagine my size 4/5, 5’7 127 pound frame holding a 90 extra pounds. She blames having two kids on the rapid weight gain.

"I had my daughter when I was 18 and my son when I was 24." she informed.

Hmm..I think to myself. Okay, so what happened?

"How is mom and dad weight?" I ask.

"Mom is thick and my dad has always been on the slim side."

"How slim?" I asked.

"Dad was an athlete. Played sports all his life, so he's solid slim-man like, you follow-me?"

"I gotcha.What about siblings?"

 "My brother is like our dad and my two sisters are thick like mommy, but I am the biggest. My last doctor’s appointment was not a good one. Dam doctor told me I had to loose at least half of what I weigh. Cholesterol, high-blood, and my knees are always aching."

She studies my face and body.

“How old are you anyway?” When I tell her, she request I.D. I laugh.

"Dam, I would have never guessed. I thought you were in your 20s. How do you do it?" she asks.

"Honestly, my parents are slim folk though my aunts on both sides are thick. I work out too; eat right and goal to be well and my daughter keeps me active."

"Dam, that ain't easy and you got a daughter! How old is she?

"She's ten. One year older than your than your son."

"I wouldn't have guessed that either."

 "Thank You."

There is a strange silence.

"You know it's not hard to keep the weight under control. Preparing most of my meals helps. It helps to cut back on the saturated and trans fat." I said encouragingly.

 "You can cook?" she seemed surprise.

 "Born and raised in the south, so yes, I can cook." I chuckle.

"Oh, Oh okay, I feel you. No offense, but I don't. she smiles warmly. That’s real good. I eat out a lot and too much. I need to lose serious weight thou. I know it!" her pretty face frowns. "I'm scared and I want to look good, you know be on that healthy shit like you working! I got so many health issues gurl, its fuckin’ ridiculous!"

"Listen, sis I am not saying it's not going to be a challenge to come down, but if that's what you want, you can do it! You have to change the way you think about food and modify your behavior."

"You sound like a got dam commercial!" we both laugh.

What’s your name?" she asks. We have been talking all this time and don't know each other's name."

 “I apologize too. I’m Myra.”

 “Hey four letters like me! Hi, Myra, I'm Bria!” she exclaimed.

“Sweeeeet! Nice to meet you Bria.”

"For real Myra and on a serious tip, can you help me lose some weight sis? Can you help me to be healthier?"

I almost cried. See, she touch a cord in me that changed how I perceive folk to be; over weight and obese folk. Not all are oblivious to their situation; however, talking to Bria, I realize some lose sight of what is important.

 “Me?”  I point to myself.

“Why not you? I like you! Good vibes from you, you know? You good people and you work-out and eat right and all on that, right? You can help me.”

Thank you and good vibes coming in on this end too. If you want me too, I will do what I can Bria.”

We embrace.

I think about her a lot. She has not yet committed because she is not ready, but I am still here for her when she is ready. I reach out to her at times to remind her of that very fact.

0 comments: